Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Law

.........That's the problem with the law, it only goes so far. Did you know in New York a subway worker was acquitted after witnessing a rape and the only effort he put forth was notifying the proper authorities. The entire time the woman was being raped, from the point of her being pulled down the stairs to the actual act, they just sat and watched. The judge ruled that they had acted "within proper parameters," can you believe that shit? Don't let Seinfeld lie to you, there isn't any good Samaritan law. As long as you do the absolute minimal, you can safely fucking sleep at night. Look at Kitty Genovese. I'd like to believe that if I get stabbed, a stranger is going to fucking do something about it, not suffer from "Diffusion of Responsibility." No offense guys, but that's why I hate large groups of people because when I'm around them, I always think; these fuckers won't do shit. If something happens, I gotta take the fight in my own hands, I have to take care of myself and those around me because if I don't, who the fuck will?

It is a scary place we find ourselves. Where the majority always equals might and seem to rely on that at the cost of right. I always loved that scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Scout approaches the mob and soon after they disperse. Powerful shit you know, the idea that a small child could impact a group intent on murder, its kind of scary. To me murder shouldn't come that easy, it shouldn't be a simple matter of size, that if you collect the right classroom of people, the result would be the end of someone. It sounds silly, but how often does it happen? It's insane how cheap life is and sometimes it feels like the law isn't doing us any favors.

"Yeah, I get you Casey, but I think sometimes the law is meant to be abstract, not a moral compass and maybe that's the distinction. You can't make someone be good."

Trying to keep her voice down so she wouldn't wake up Mali, Casey bit her lip a second to focus herself.

"I'm not saying you make someone be good, but by the same token, we can't encourage apathy on the part of our fellow man. Yeah, I get good is subjective, but there are some principles that are timeless if you want to have a structured society. Yeah, at one time murder was commonplace, but the mitigating factor was who was being murdered, not the act itself and the same goes for rape. All I'd like to know is that if I'm getting raped in front of a group of strangers, and all they do is call the cops and continue to watch, I'm going to do everything in my power to see that they are held accountable and I'd like to believe the law has my back."

Casey and Joe continued their heated discussion, that was until Mali interrupted with a startling howl.

No comments: