Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Circumstances

"Um, hi Sheriff," whimpered Casey, obviously filled with fear and embarrassment at the situation.

"What the hell is going on here," said the man in blue.

"I am so sorry, I wasn't thinking, I don't know what happened. One thing led to another, it was completely innocent at first I promise."

"Promise my ass," said the Sheriff, "Do you have any idea what kind of trouble you guys are in?"

"Well, actually..."

"Shut up, Joe," said Casey.

"Listen to the girl, young man. No amount of talking can get you out of this situation. Since you are, in fact, on somebody else's turf we will have to take it to them to see what is to be done about this. But, if it were up to me, I'd be taking you kids in for indecent exposure. You got that?"

"Yes, sir," said Joe, cowering in shame while struggling to find his clothes.

The two dressed and were lead by the sheriff to the administrative offices of the building to find an older gentleman, conservative in attire and grooming, hovering over a desk reading what looked to be official documents of some sort.

"I have two for you," the sheriff said, "caught 'em up in the attic stark naked doing god knows what. Their aroma is pungent, sir, of sin and negligence to the holy word."

"Alright, alright, I get the picture," said the older gent, "Just leave'em to me. I'll take care of it. You go off doing whatever it is you do."

The sheriff left the room, obviously frustrated that the owner did not ask to have the two removed from the premises right away and taken downtown. His footsteps carried on for about two more minutes before vanishing altogether.

I was young once as well, you know. When I was your age I got myself into all sorts of trouble. Sex, drugs, and rock & roll, you know? That was me. That was also then, and this is now. I grew up, got old, lost touch with the fun and fancy free that I used to have. When the two of you walked in, I knew what was going on. I saw the two of you trail off to the attic. I did it when I was young. If it were not for those experiences that I had when I was younger and vital, then I would not be the person that I am today. Certainly I'm not as wild as I used to be, I can't be. I had to grow up, get a job, become a respectable part of society. But I can never lose touch with the importance of those years. I may have lost touch with my youth, being at my age... it's understood to do so. But I will never forget my youth, and how much I loved it. I want people your age to love it just as much as I did, hence why I said nothing when you young lovebirds went up and into that attic. I simply don't care. I knew that if I left you in the hands of that bastard cop he would have taken you downtown and created a whole mess of problems for you. Not at all necessary. Stay young, my friends... but next time, keep it out of the attic.

"Wow, sir, I can't even begin to thank you," said Joe.

"No thanks necessary, son, just take care of yourself."

The two left the office and the building altogether to go outside and have a cigarette. Joe began regaining color to his face while Casey hastily inhaled the sweet smoke emerging from her cigarette.

"So uh, that was close," she said.

"Next time will you listen to me?" asked Joe, through muted laughter.

"Nope," it was worth it, that motherfucker was awesome!"

"You are one who will never learn, my love. So what was it you were going to tell me in there? We got kind of interrupted."

Casey's face faded quickly from smiles to fear. She stomped out her cigarette and took Joe's hands. The feeling in Joe's stomach dropped. It, too, went fast from an adrenaline rush to impatient, fearful anticipation.

"I'm pregnant."

No comments: